Norwegian immigrants living in Ashland founded Nidaros Lutheran Church in February 1884. Its first pastor was offered a yearly salary of $200. Men from the congregation started building a permanent structure in 1888, where the Cobblestone Inn parking lot is today. It was formally dedicated in 1892.
In 1963, the congregation broke ground to build a new church on 3rd Street and 13th Avenue West. It was completed in 1965 and was officially renamed
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church.